The Cabildo de Montevideo is a beautiful colonial building on the Constitution Square of Montevideo, Uruguay.
It was built as the seat of the city’s administration from 1804, and on July 18, 1830, in one of its rooms, the first Constitution of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay was sworn in.
In 1958 the Cabildo de Montevideo was converted into an archive and a museum.
Our staff, and especially journalist Dirce Ramiro, visited the Cabildo and had the opportunity to appreciate two important exhibitions organized by Licenciada Rosana Carrete, director of the Museum, and her team.
The first exhibition, entitled “Montevideo, la belle époque”, features wonderful works by guest artists Mª Agustina Fernández, Alfredo Ghierra, Martín Sastre.
The second exhibition, “Feminismos en el siglo XX”, with thanks to Estela Magnone, Valeria Mastrangelo, Gisella Previtali, Equipo Centro de Fotografía IM, Equipo CIDDAE/Teatro Solís, Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas Clemente Estable, Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales, Archivo Histórico PCU, is a wonderful example of Uruguayan Women and their importance in 20th century society.
Their achievements, their aspirations, their struggles are very well portrayed in the exhibition, which magically transports us to the time in which they lived and the many barriers they had to overcome in their lives.